Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 06:03:12

IANAL ;-)

But I am clear that the legal status of Boost, a worldwide organisation, is extremely ill defined.

So nobody has any effective 'rights' except perhaps those of copyright law (which varies widely).

What the license means is the nobody else has the right to *stop* anyone else doing anything with the code.

They can sell it, but they can't stop anyone else selling it, or using it. (Unless they manage to patent it - probably
tricky).

Boost runs almost entirely based on respect and convention, so we should avoid going all 'lawyerish' :-)

If the maintainer appears missing (on holiday even), I'd favour quicker patching of bugs, after some discussion seeking
agreement - or veto.

I think this works already, but slowly, perhaps we need to be a little less concerned for authors 'rights'.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse