Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Some Ideas about the Boost.Process
From: Felipe Tanus (fotanus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 06:48:22

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Felipe Tanus <fotanus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Boris Schaeling <boris_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> [...] In fact there has
>> been a Boost.Process draft from Ilya Sokolov in 2008 without Windows and
>> POSIX types and functions [...]. He later said
>> though that he thinks that removing those types and functions was an error
>> [...]
>> Unfortunately I didn't ask him at that time why he thinks it was an error
>> (probably because it didn't seem to make sense to me at that time either). [...]
>
>    I'll try to contact he and hope to he remembers; [...]

Hello,

Ilya answered my e-mail.

[quote]
At that time I thought that removing win32_* and posix_* may prevent
adding some OS-specific
features. I've changed my opinion since then. As I see it now, the
library should concentrate on simple
use cases, and more complex cases will be simpler to implement using
OS API directly.
[/quote]

It sure would be far more complex, but IMHO it is worth. Having a no
OS specific library could be the motive in the first place for someone
look for boost.process. What you think about try to remodeling the
library again? Would it be nice if we manage to do it, but in the
future we may give it up and back to the first model, loosing our
times.

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus_at_[hidden]