Subject: Re: [boost] Transfer of Maintenance Rights
From: Vicente Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 10:43:35

Hi Rob,

thanks for going on this subject.

Rob Stewart wrote:

> Dave asked for a policy proposal for how Boost library maintenance rights
> may be transferred. Edward Diener declined, so I'll offer one and go a
> little further while I'm at it. Consider the following as a replacement
> for the text at <http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html#Maintainer>.
>
> _____________________________
>
> Library Author's Responsibilities
>
> By submitting a library to Boost, you agree to put the library and its
> documentation under a Boost-compatible license, if it is accepted.
>
> If your library is accepted, you are free to change it any way you wish.
> Indeed, we encourage you to make constant improvements. However, because
> peer review is an important part of the Boost process, please consider
> getting Boost community feedback before making substantial changes to the
> interface of your library.
>
> Furthermore, if your library is accepted, you agree to be the library
> maintainer or to find a qualified volunteer to serve in your stead. You
> may, of course, assemble a qualified group to act as maintainers of your
> library, regardless of whether you continue to be a maintainer.
>
> Library Maintainer's Rights and Responsibilities
>
> As a library maintainer, you agree to provide timely support to users of
> the library, and to fix bugs and release those fixes in a timely fashion.

What about been less subjective? what do you think about constraining the
maintainer to take care of a bug before 6 months?

Rob Stewart wrote:

> You also agree to consider making library enhancements and improvements.
> Note that others may offer and even commit patches to a library you
> maintain, provided the patch is posted to the Boost Developer's mailing
> list for approval and is not rejected by anyone within a reasonable time.

What about been less subjective? what do you think about limiting this time
to 1 month?

Rob Stewart wrote:

> If you find that you can no longer fulfill your responsibilities as
> maintainer of a library, you are responsible to advertise this to the
> Boost community. If you are the sole maintainer, you are responsible to
> find a replacement. If for some reason you fail to fulfill your
> responsibilities as maintainer of a library, as judged by the Boost
> community, whether through willful neglect or otherwise, you agree to
> allow the Boost community to provide a suitable replacement.

I would add that if the library has too many BUGS, the library maintainer
should make a request for a qualified group to help to maintain the
library. IMO a library with more than 40 BUGS should reinforce the
maintenance team.

Best,
Vicente