Subject: Re: [boost] Transfer of Maintenance Rights
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 11:24:14

>> Library Maintainer's Rights and Responsibilities
>>
>> As a library maintainer, you agree to provide timely support to users of
>> the library, and to fix bugs and release those fixes in a timely fashion.
>>

> What about been less subjective? what do you think about constraining the
> maintainer to take care of a bug before 6 months?

I agree with some sort of deadline, but what if a maintainer fixes some
bugs but not all of them? Also, does this only apply to actual bugs, or
feature requests? There are also some bugs in BGL that apply to
interfaces (such as the one to LEDA) that are no longer maintained. Does
the maintainer have discretion on what bugs to consider important (if they
do reply and say something is a low priority)?

One other thing I would like to see as part of "timely support" is
checking the regression test results and fixing issues found there. BGL
has several tests that fail because of build problems in other libraries;
I know that these should be reported but checking the regression test
pages would also be good as a requirement. I know many of these tests
fail due to compiler deficiencies and issues in the test systems'
configurations, however.

> Rob Stewart wrote:
>>

>> You also agree to consider making library enhancements and improvements.
>> Note that others may offer and even commit patches to a library you
>> maintain, provided the patch is posted to the Boost Developer's mailing
>> list for approval and is not rejected by anyone within a reasonable time.
>>

> What about been less subjective? what do you think about limiting this time
> to 1 month?

I agree with this. I think submitting a patch to a bug report or feature
request should count as well.

-- Jeremiah Willcock