Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Boost.Log formal review result
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 12:07:38

On 03/25/2010 01:28 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> First of all, I would like to thank Andrey for this submission and the
> active discussion during the review. I also would like to thank everybody
> who participated in the review.
>
> The comments on the library were generally positive. Several reviewers
> have tried it in practical projects already, and found it superior to
> other libraries. It clearly will benefit the users of Boost right away.
> Therefore, the library is accepted. Congratulations, Andrey!

Thank you, Vladimir. You did a really great job both as a review manager
and as a reviewer.

I would also like to thank all the reviewers, I needed this kind of
feedback. My special appreciation goes to Steven Watanabe, who gave
thorough reading to the documentation and provided the needed
corrections, and also gave many fruitful suggestions about the code.

I agree to most prerequisites needed for the final inclusion, with a
sole exception of this one:

> Critical issues
> ===============
>
> These issues must be addressed, and be passed through informal mini-review,
> before the library can be added to SVN.
>
> - The library should not reinvent wheels. In particular, custom implementations
> of TSS and RW mutex seems like a very bad idea.

I have noted that during the review that these tools were implemented
for a reason. They make the library faster and lighter in terms of
memory footprint. They allow to avoid including Boost.Thread headers in
public headers of Boost.Log, which also speeds up the compilation. I
think these matters are more important than having the code dispersion
they add.

I remember that it was you who expressed the concern about these tools.
Do you think this issue should really be a hard requirement for the
library to be included in Boost?