Subject: Re: [boost] gil::io "non-review" (was: [gil] Can not open test.jpg)
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 19:11:49

Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Linux, where I develop, we use PNG. As far as i know, the
> following library is pretty much the standard way to interface with
> PNG's.
>
> http://www.karlings.com/~danne/pnglite/
>
> It was written by the original png developers, but has a simpler
> interface. Should be adequate for your purposes. Just grab what you
> can.

"Should be adequate for your purposes" - I'm not sure what you mean
Tom. We're discussing how to process large JPEGs in limited RAM, and
how to deal with the nasty error-reporting mechanism that libjpeg has.
I don't see how pnglite is going to help with that.

Anyway, having looked at it, it seems that it decodes the whole image
in one call into a contiguous memory region. So if I were trying to
decode PNGs then it would require that I had enough RAM to store the
whole decoded image, which is exactly what I don't have. It also
doesn't handle indexed images. It does have sane error reporting though.

Regards, Phil.