Subject: Re: [boost] Library dependencies and intrer-library code reuse
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-26 14:00:32

At Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:30:51 +0000,
Daniel James wrote:

> On 26 March 2010 08:11, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > Untangling (and minimizing) intra-library dependencies is certainly
> > doable—the untangling part has already been done
> > (http://gitorious.org/boost)—but you proposed something more radical…
> > and probably impossible when you consider the pimpl/header-only
> > requirement.  A pimpl-based type traits library?
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to divide boost up based on the current
> directory structure. We really should sort out the structure of boost
> before splitting it up, not after.

Nah, then you have to do the whole thing at once and you're
bottlenecked until it happens, and it will never happen. Get the
libraries separated and working with reasonable structure, and sorting
out other structural issues becomes something each maintainer can take
care of. Part of the reason things don't progress as well as they
could around here is that every consequential job begins to look like
it involves someone being willing to touch everything.

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing