Subject: Re: [boost] Transfer of Maintenance Rights
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-27 17:14:36

On Mar 27, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
> There does seem, from this end-user's perspective, some libraries where the original developer does not seem to be working on it anymore, whether to fix bugs, update docs, or possibly to make changes. This is quite understandable if a library does not need changes aside from the very occasional bug, which is probably the case with many libraries. I will cite a few where it seems to me that the original developer is nowhere around anymore, but this is just subjective and I might be totally wrong:
>
> iostreams
> date_time
> tokenizer
> random
> value_init
> variant
> pool
> format
> array

This is great - actual data ;-)
I've been away for a couple of days, and catching up on this thread, I'm getting there's a lot of sound and fury about unmaintained libraries, but no hard facts.

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/report/15 shows the following libraries with no assigned maintainer:

array
functional
lambda
preprocessor
random
utility

As for the ones that you've listed:
        Chris Newbold has recently taken over maintenance of the pool library
        Steven Watanabe and I have been fixing problems in the array library.
        Steven Watanable is currently working on the random library.
        Andysem has been fixing date_time bugs recently.
        Danieljames has been fixing iostreams bugs

Variant, I agree, is in need of a maintainer. Does someone want to volunteer?

-- Marshall

P.S. I too see the large list of open tickets as (at the very least) a bit of "Bad PR" by boost. I think that we (as a group) should be more proactive about dealing with tickets/fixing bugs/responding to feature requests (even if the answer is 'No, that's not going to happen'/etc. The first "bug sprint" closed about 100 tickets, the second noticeably less. Now there are more open tickets than ever.

P.P.S. The fact that there are 90 patches waiting to be looked at/applied is really too bad.
        <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/report/25>
        <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=component&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=milestone&col=component&type=Patches&row=description>