Subject: Re: [boost] [lock-free] CDS -yet another lock-free library
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-29 12:37:22

>>> Have you considered using the proposed Boost.Atomic? This should
>>> support more platforms.
>>>
>>> If there is something missing from Boost.Atomic that is needed for this
>>> purpose, it would be useful to know about it.
>>
>> Yes, I considered Boost.Atomic some time ago and I decided to
>> implement separate atomics in the CDS library:
>>
>> 1. Not all processor architectures that I need are implemented in
>> Boost.Atomic (maybe, today it is not right).
>
> You listed x86, amd64, ia64, sparc; Boost.Atomic currently supports (I
> think) x86, amd64, alpha, ppc and arm. Of course ia64 and sparc
> implementations for Boost.Atomic would be useful.

there seem to be some issues with boost.atomic on msvc (at least two people
had issues when using my proposed lockfree library with boost.atomic)

for ia64 some algorithms would need to be adapted, since iirc, there is no
true double-word compare-and-exchange, but rather a compare8byte /
exchange16byte instruction ...

tim

--
tim_at_[hidden]