Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC: Boost.Graph library - Graph Connectives
From: Yaroslav Vorontsov (DarthYarius_0990_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-01 12:35:45

22:59, Andrew Sutton wrote:
>> I'm Yaroslav Vorontsov (or simply Jerry Lee :-)), a student of Computer
>> Science Department of Voronezh State University, Russia. I'm interested in
>> both generic programming and graph theory, and I also would like to
>> participate in Google Summer of Code 2010. I had some experience of generic
>> programming before when I tried to implement my own generic graph library in
>> C# (of course, as a task on one of programming courses at the university).
>> I've read that (quote) "The Boost.Graph library is missing connectives...".
>> I'm quite familiar with C++ and the idea of generic programming and I'm
>> working with some graph theory aspects at the moment, so I want to know:
>> what particular skills (in programming, of course) are needed to develop
>> graph connectives?
>>

> Hi Simply Jerry Lee :),
>
> Good question. Working on the Boost graph library requires a sound
> understanding of its organization and its construction. There are a lot of
> techniques used in its construction that are atypical of most OO libraries
> (even C# generic data structures). You should be able to identify aspects of
> an algorithm that aren't "universally generic" and understand how to
> abstract them using templates, types, metaprogramming, etc.
>
> Most of that can be learned on the job, so to speak, but having a good eye
> for abstraction certainly helps.
>
> Andrew Sutton
> andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]

Ok, many thanks for exhaustive explanation! :-)
One more little question: what is the best source of information about
Boost.Graph library?
I've found something here
(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/graph/doc/table_of_contents.html),
but it seems to be something like functions description. Are there any
good books about Boost.Graph architecture and its usage? I'd like to
have a few practice :-)