Subject: Re: [boost] New Boost.XInt Library, request preliminary review
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-01 15:59:35

On 31 March 2010 20:10, Chad Nelson <chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> If you mean, you think it was a conscious decision on my part: yes,
> you're right. That's how I intended it to be used.

The worry I have is with compound expressions. It looks nice for a
single function call, but compare these two lines:

    w = x/y*z;
    w = x*y/z;

With a signalling NaN, their exceptional behaviour is drastically different.

This is another example of the advantage of the split types: If x, y,
and z are nothrow_xints, the type of w is what decides whether the
statement will throw. Alternatively, if x, y, and z are finite_xints,
both statements will throw and never touch w.