Subject: Re: [boost] New Boost.XInt Library, request preliminary review
From: DE (satan66613_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-01 16:18:18

on 01.04.2010 at 23:59
 Scott McMurray wrote :
> The worry I have is with compound expressions. It looks nice for a
> single function call, but compare these two lines:

> w = x/y*z;
> w = x*y/z;

> With a signalling NaN, their exceptional behaviour is drastically different.

> This is another example of the advantage of the split types: If x, y,
> and z are nothrow_xints, the type of w is what decides whether the
> statement will throw. Alternatively, if x, y, and z are finite_xints,
> both statements will throw and never touch w.

they are throwing anyway whether or not exceptions are blocked
blocking of exceptions allows you to check explicitly if a number
of operations like division succeeds
that number of operations is relatively small so you don't need to
check result of every operations

but blindly writing such expressions is irrelevant to the nan
behaviour because both eventually throw

we are spinning and spinning around the same thing for a week
is there an end?

--
Pavel
P.S.