Subject: [boost] xml?
From: Maarten L. Hekkelman (m.hekkelman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-07 15:17:50

Hi,

I saw there was some discussion on this list regarding an XML library.

I wrote a C++ based XML library recently as part of the work I do on
e.g. MRS, a full-text retrieval system for biological databanks. (See
http://mrs.cmbi.ru.nl/ )

I extracted the XML and SOAP code from the MRS project and wrapped it
into a new library. This library is called libzeep and I've put the code
on Berlios (http://libzeep.berlios.de/). License is Boost.

The library currently consists of:

- a SAX parser with validation support based on DTD.
- a simple XML library for nodes, elements, etc.
- an XML writing utility/wrapper.
- an xpath implementation

And then the code contains a full high-performance SOAP server
implementation. This code generated all SOAP related code and WSDL
generator code based on the signature of exported server methods. No
need to run a separate code generating tool. Network code is based on
asio and I've implemented an optional pre-forked mode of operation.

A previous version of libzeep is in production use for over a year now
and I recently added the parser and xpath stuff to be able to drop
libxml2 from the requirements for MRS.

Code comes with quite a few test sets. Documentation is not updated yet
for the parser and xpath but there is some for the SOAP part. I need to
do a bit more testing before I can release a new version.

My question now is, would this library be of interest to Boost? Perhaps
it can be used, or parts of it can be recycled. And if there is
interest, I'm sure there must be suggestions for improvement.

You can browse the code at

https://svn.cmbi.ru.nl/libzeep/trunk/

(There's also a copy at Berlios, but that may be out-of-date)

The application zeep-test is a simple SOAP server, in ./tests/ you can
find two simple test drivers, one for the parser and one for xpaths.

Best regards,

-maarten hekkelman