Subject: Re: [boost] xml?
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-08 11:22:33

Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:
> I wrote a C++ based XML library recently as part of the work I do on
> e.g. MRS, a full-text retrieval system for biological databanks. (See
> http://mrs.cmbi.ru.nl/ )
>
> I extracted the XML and SOAP code from the MRS project and wrapped it
> into a new library. This library is called libzeep and I've put the code
> on Berlios (http://libzeep.berlios.de/). License is Boost.
>
> The library currently consists of:
>
> - a SAX parser with validation support based on DTD.
> - a simple XML library for nodes, elements, etc.
> - an XML writing utility/wrapper.
> - an xpath implementation

Hi Maarten,

Very interesting.

Just one observation for now. I see that you have a node class that
points to its neighbours and parent. I think this is quite a common
pattern for XML, but it differs from e.g. the standard containers. So
it's not possible to use standard algorithms to iterate through your
XML structure.

I am interested in how an "XML container concept" can be made to look
more like a standard container. For example, are there any inherent
reasons why the pattern that you have used is better suited to XML? Is
there anything that it can do that is hard to express with e.g. a
begin(), end(), iterator style ?

Regards, Phil.