Subject: Re: [boost] decltype and incomplete types
From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-08 19:25:11

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 4/8/2010 3:07 PM, Daniel James wrote:
>>
>> On 8 April 2010 22:08, Daniel Walker<daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I suppose it's fine to revert the merge. Some compilers are already
>>> shipping with a std::result_of that implements the current draft
>>> standard. So boost::result_of isn't so critical for these users.
>>
>> OK, result_of is back to its 1.42 state on the release branch.
>
> Thanks. The change should also be applied to truck, otherwise, those of us
> who use truck testing to know when to merge things to release won't be
> getting an accurate picture of things.
>
>> This
>> reverts the fixes for:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/862
>
> Support for boost.lambda.
>
> This bug is invalid to begin with. Lambda should be changed to support the
> TR1 result_of protocol (which is standard), not the other way around.

No, the result_of in this patch can detect the type of any callable
object, including those from boost.lambda, in contexts where the type
of the call expression is complete. Now, lambda users who would like
to query the type of lambda function objects should use their
compiler's std::result_of, if it implements any draft of the standard
from the past 2 years, or simply roll their own.

Daniel Walker