Subject: Re: [boost] Crypto Proposal
From: Domagoj Saric (domagoj.saric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-16 10:25:38

"Sohail Somani" <sohail_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> So let me understand: you created a program from a use case, did not use
> Botan's capability to include only what you need, and then you said that the
> resulting binary was too big? I think you should try again but only include
> what you need for your use case. I can believe that you would like to keep the
> size down but I think you should do a proper test.

Well that was exactly the problem I tried to show...the only way to make Botan
'not as big' (even with powerful linkers like the one provided by MSVC 9.0) is
to manually configure it to exclude parts of itself...this always points to
coupled code that uses some sort(s) of dynamic/runtime dispatching which
prevents the compiler from detecting what is actually used and what isn't...
>From this I can apriori know that such a library would fail the 'efficiency'
test even if I exclude all but one algorithm from the build: I will still get
all the runtime-goodies that dynamically dispatch always to the one and only
algorithm I use...

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than from