Subject: Re: [boost] [1.43][beta] Fix for MPL under gcc 4.5
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-22 12:18:28

Daniel James wrote:
> The release process is quite different now. It seems to me that the
> focus is to get a regular release with the more modest goal of being
> an incremental improvement, rather than an 'all green' release.

I don't think there's a conflict here. If the trunk is merged into the
release
and something doesn't show up as "all green", it should be addressed
right then - in only via a markup. That is - the release branch should
always be ready for release. Having said that, there is a problem in
that it can take quite a while for all the release tests to cycle so one
might not notice until some time later - when one is engaged in something
else.

>If there is a bug that goes unfixed, it can be fixed three months later,
> which is not that long and quicker than you'd wait for some of the old
> releases to be finished. If no one's fixing it, and someone cares
> about it, it's their responsibility to make sure it gets fixed. This
> reduces the burden on the release managers, which was too high in the
> old system. For all its faults, the new system feels like an
> improvement to me. (It's hopefully clear that this is all my opinion,
> not policy).

It's my opinion also.

Robert Ramey