Subject: Re: [boost] [Trac] We're getting spammed!
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-11 15:12:42

>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/1648#comment:4
>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2445#comment:2
>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3425#comment:2
>>>
>>> Is there anything we can do to prevent this?
>>
>> Dong Inn and I installed the filter from
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SpamFilter (without Akismet or Captcha
>> support). One of the moderators should add relevant regular expressions
>> to https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BadContent then make it
>> read-only; I seeded it with the list from Trac's own BadContent page. I
>> added a bunch of junk comments for testing; apparently those can't be
>> removed until we update Trac so they'll have to stay for now.
>
> Thank you for reinstalling that filter, although I don't know why it and
> many other modules got removed. But from the previous setup, the only
> thing that really worked to some extent was the Akismet lookup. Once
> upon a time we also used to have the "Delete" module so we could go in
> and manually cleanup SPAM that made it through.

We did a lot of updates to the Trac site last week for performance. If
the API key on the admin page is valid, Akismet might actually be working;
I hadn't realized you had it before so I thought it wasn't set up. Dong
Inn installed the TicketDeletePlugin now so you can clean up the existing
spam. TracXMLRPC and IniAdmin are installed now as well. Are there any
others that need to be installed? Syntax highlighting is on now; an admin
can turn it off if there are performance problems. Note that many of the
problems with the file browser's performance don't have anything to do
with highlighting, though.

-- Jeremiah Willcock