Subject: Re: [boost] [Booster] Or boost is useless for library developers
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-15 10:53:58

> OK, but as a matter of fact, I was looking for a
> replacement of cakephp (not sure yet), and cppcms is on the
> list of candidates. If using cppcms would require using
> booster instead of boost, I would probably strike it from
> the list.

No, you would not be required to use Booster anywhere. But if
you want to interact with cppcms library in very specific points.

For example you want to get shared_ptr<cppcms::http::context>
or you want to use cppcms::widgets::regex_field
then you would have to use booster.

Also the largest exposed part of booster is boost.locale that is
actually the same code in different namespace.

There are very few points that actually require such glue. But
sometimes they are must-to-have.

> OK, can I so something like the following?
>
> boost::shared_ptr<int> a(new int(0));
> booster::shared_ptr<int> b = a;
>
> (replace shared_ptr with all the other boost-look-alike
> classes)

No you can't assign boost::shared_ptr to booster::shared_ptr as you
can't assign std::tr1::shared_ptr to boost::shared_ptr

But you can freely replace one with other as long as they consistent.

Best,
  Artyom