Subject: Re: [boost] [Booster] Or boost is useless for library developers
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-15 11:20:21

Artyom wrote:
>> OK, but as a matter of fact, I was looking for a
>> replacement of cakephp (not sure yet), and cppcms is on the
>> list of candidates. If using cppcms would require using
>> booster instead of boost, I would probably strike it from
>> the list.
>>

> No, you would not be required to use Booster anywhere. But if
> you want to interact with cppcms library in very specific points.
>
> For example you want to get shared_ptr<cppcms::http::context>
> or you want to use cppcms::widgets::regex_field
> then you would have to use booster.
>
> Also the largest exposed part of booster is boost.locale that is
> actually the same code in different namespace.
>
> There are very few points that actually require such glue. But
> sometimes they are must-to-have.

Well, instead of writing glue code and wondering (for example) how to
encapsulate the usage of booster::shared_ptr or pondering over ownership
questions/issues if I transfer the pointer to a boost::shared_ptr, I'd
prefer cppcms API to use boost-original.

I'd compile the library myself, anyway, which relieves me of the ABI
troubles.

Regards,

Roland