Subject: Re: [boost] [Booster] Or boost is useless for library developers
From: Isidor Zeuner (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-16 00:54:13

> > Maybe "fork" was bad wording considering that the code is
> > not derived
> > from boost. Still, as it serves as a boost replacement, I
> > am saying
> > that I would love to see improvements you put there to be
> > put into
> > boost instead, so they serve a larger audience.
>
> This is just a question of priorities: I want to release CppCMS - I need
> stable boost-like library.

Simple:

1. You release the CppCMS source (AFAIR, it is meant to be open
source), people download the source, compile it, compile their
applications (both against their installed boost). So it will work as
they will have the same boost ABI in both components.

2. (optional) You release binaries compiled for the distributions you
use. They will be compiled against the boost version shipped with that
distributions, so people running the same distribution can use them
and avoid compiling themselves.

3. (once CppCMS gains popularity) People running other distributions
release unofficion binaries compiled for their distributions. The same
as in (2) applies.

4. (once CppCMS gains even more popularity) Distributors ship official
compiled builds of CppCMS for their distributions.

The chances for (3) and (4) might be significantly reduced once CppCMS
depends on an extra library which implements functionality that could
instead be obtained from boost with much more peer review improving
it.

> 1. I can't fix all boost on-my-own.

Me too. So if I find a bug in boost, I publish it. Others do the
same. The effect is a boost with very high code quality (I think it
happened only once for me that deploying software was slightly delayed
due to a boost bug).

> So once boost "stabilization" would be started as official part of
> boost I'll be the first who helps.

Look for a distributor who maintains ABI compatibility and send them
you resume. If they lack someone who is expert in boost ABI
engineering and you can fill that need, they will probably hire you.

Best regards,

Isidor