Subject: Re: [boost] CGI / FastCGI library update
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-19 10:44:41

Darren Garvey wrote:
> I have packaged a version of a CGI / FastCGI library* up to sourceforge and
> would very much appreciate feedback and critique from interested parties.

Hi Darren,

I've just had a very quick look through the docs; some comments:

- I think you must have quite a few useful algorithms hidden as
implementation details (e.g. URL %-encoding, base64, multipart MIME
etc) that would be more useful if they were exposed. I.e. people could
use them even if they didn't want to use the rest of the library.

- Saving uploaded files on the server's filesystem doesn't seem the
right approach. Ideally, the handler would start before all of the
uploaded file had been received, e.g. if I upload a 100 MB video, the
server would check my username and the MIME type for the content and
maybe look for a magic number at the start of the data stream so that
it could send an error response without waiting for all of the data.

- As I've said before, my preferred method when I don't want a
process-per-request CGI is to use a stand-alone HTTP daemon and
Apache's mod_proxy. It would be great if you could support this. I
believe that asio has an HTTP server example; could that be coerced
into doing this for you?

Regards, Phil.