Subject: Re: [boost] CGI / FastCGI library update
From: Darren Garvey (darren.garvey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-19 19:30:21

HI Jarrad,

On 19 May 2010 13:48, Jarrad Waterloo <jwaterloo_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> 2 file requests
> 1) On file upload it would be nice to be notified at the beginning, between
> processing the header and the multipart, and periodically, lets say every
> 4K (configurable), in addition to the already when processed.

I'd very much like to support this, but haven't had the time to implement
it. Marshall Clow has been working on a complete MIME library - it would be
very cool if he got that to support incremental parsing. (*cough*).

Also FastCGI supports giving a completed response before even the the
> request is completely processed. Allowing the request and response to be
> split in separate threads permits the server to give progress indicator
> while the file is being uploaded.

You can write a response before the entire request is read at the moment,
but you can't interrupt the processing of reading / parsing the post data
once you have started it.

2) Frequently, I disallow files from being saved on the server, rather I
> would like to process the file while it is being uploaded. Use case would be
> I may have a CSV parser that reads from a stream and would notify me by
> callback upon successfully reading a row which I would then process.

Hmm, I might have to rethink the upload routines. Thanks for the use-case.

Cheers,
Darren