Subject: Re: [boost] BoostCon 2011 Dates and Hotel Discount (this week only!)
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-21 21:51:32

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:46 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> At Thu, 20 May 2010 18:29:54 -0600,
> OvermindDL1 wrote:
>>
>> > It isn't just picking a city.  Someone needs to commit to being the
>> > point person to make sure that things happen, even if the other
>> > volunteers have to bail.  I've put on minor events, and I've watched
>> > friends put on major events, and it is a lot of work.
>> >
>> > And if we skip Aspen, it may hurt the relationships we've built up
>> > with the Meadows and the Physics Center.  Changing the venue has
>> > consequences.
>> >

>> > Personally, I vote for keeping it in Aspen.
>>
>> +1 for keeping it in Aspen.
>>
>> I should actually be able to attend next year, unless it is held
>> further away, then travel costs raise that to a near impossibility
>> again.  I live only a 9-10 hour drive from Aspen, so the room costs
>> are my main thing to deal with.
>
> One way we could make it financially easier for many more to attend
> would be to facilitate/coordinate room sharing.  Many of these “rooms”
> are actually moderate-sized apartments, with plenty of room so two
> people can have private areas.  Actually this is my wife's idea :-)

Definitely a good idea. My main issue as always is transportation. I
have to minimize my time off from work so it is always a kind of thing
as leave as late as possible and so forth, as well as having to pay
for *everything* myself. Thankfully a little 10 hour trip by car is
only about $90 in gas and lets me keep my own schedule.