Subject: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for C++?
From: Bartlett, Roscoe A (rabartl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-26 18:37:34

Hello Boost developers,

I am interested in finding one or more individuals who are knowledgeable about memory management in C++ (and especially of the reference-counting approach taken by boost::shared_ptr and boost::weak_ptr) to review an idea for a comprehensive approach to safer memory management in C++ that encapsulates all raw C++ pointers in high-level code. The technical report for the approach is:

    Teuchos C++ Memory Management Classes, Idioms, and Related Topics
    The Complete Reference
    A Comprehensive Strategy for Safe and Efficient Memory Management in C++ for High Performance Computing

and can be found at:

    http://www.cs.sandia.gov/~rabartl/TeuchosMemoryManagementSAND.pdf

If someone would be willing to at least go through the abbreviated table of contents laid out in the Preface and provide some feedback, I would be greatly appreciative.

If there is a better mail list to send this too, please let me know.

Thanks,

- Ross

P.S. Please make sure and respond to me personally (rabartl_at_[hidden]<mailto:rabartl_at_[hidden]>) or a spam filter will likely kill it.

Dr. Roscoe A. Bartlett
Sandia National Laboratories
Department of Optimization and Uncertainty Estimation
Trilinos Software Engineering Technologies and Integration Lead
(505) 844-5097