Subject: Re: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for C++?
From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-27 00:27:16

On 05/26/10 17:37, Bartlett, Roscoe A wrote:
> Hello Boost developers,

> I am interested in finding one or more individuals who are
> knowledgeable about memory management in C++ (and especially of the
> reference-counting approach taken by boost::shared_ptr and
> boost::weak_ptr) to review an idea for a comprehensive approach to
> safer memory management in C++ that encapsulates all raw C++
> pointers in high-level code. The technical report for the approach
> is:

> Teuchos C++ Memory Management Classes, Idioms, and Related
> Topics The Complete Reference A Comprehensive Strategy for Safe
> and Efficient Memory Management in C++ for High Performance
> Computing

> and can be found at:
>
> http://www.cs.sandia.gov/~rabartl/TeuchosMemoryManagementSAND.pdf

Page 79 contains:

   there is no bullet-proof way to address circular references

However, there's some titles with "cyclic reference counting"
here:

   http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/rej/gcbib/gcbibL.html

They have disadvantages; however, obviously some methods
do exist; hence, "no bullet-proof" way seems a bit harsh to me.