Subject: Re: [boost] [log] unspecified error when going from win7 to xp
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-27 15:50:27

On 05/27/2010 07:38 PM, Christoph Heindl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> forgive me if the following error description is too vague.
>
> We are currently using boost.log (exported on 2010/05/20, compiled
> with msvc 9.0 sp1 on win7 against boost 1.40.0) in a large C++
> project.
>
> On top of this C++ project a C-API is placed to ease integration with
> .NET's pInvoke technology. This C-API consists of very primitive
> methods. Integration with .NET (2.0 or 3.x does not matter) works fine
> on win7.
> But when the executables are moved to a windows xp (or lower) based
> platform (with all redistributables installed) it breaks with an
> AccessViolationException.
>
> We tracked down the problem (without the ability to debug :) to the
> usage of BOOST_LOG_FUNCTION and/or BOOST_LOG_NAMED_SCOPE. If those
> macros are not used, everything works fine again.
>
> I know my description is vague, but maybe someone has an idea if the
> problem is us or the problem could rely in those macros.
>
> Help is desperately needed.

What version of the library do you use? Is it used in a context when its
binary is dynamically loaded? If so, try disabling compiler-supplied TLS
by defining BOOST_LOG_NO_COMPILER_TLS.

If that doesn't help, then please register a trac ticket with a stack of
the crash. I'll take a look.

BTW, are the BOOST_LOG_FUNCTION/BOOST_LOG_NAMED_SCOPE macros only used
from pure C++ code?