Subject: Re: [boost] [proposal] The boost.org Maintenance Effort
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-27 21:23:21

At Thu, 27 May 2010 10:48:18 -0400,
Beman Dawes wrote:

> What about the developer (me, for example, and the filesystem library)
> who doesn't want a blog, doesn't want to develop a separate community,
> and prefers to continue to use the main boost mailing list for
> discussions.
>
> Would I have to do anything different? In particular, would any aspect
> the HTML files in boost-root/libs/filesystem/doc change?

I think, as long as you phrase it so broadly, the answer is likely
“yes.” For example, I imagine that the presentation of those files on
the website might change a little.

> Can I continue to use plain-old-HTML and my old WYSIWYG HTML editor?

We *can't* make a system that doesn't support those formats, or we
wouldn't be able to serve tons of existing documentation.

> If I wanted to make my doc pages more consistent with the rest of
> Boost, would there be style sheets available that my old WYSIWYG
> HTML editor could use?

Clearly, yes.

> If I wanted to upgrade to a more modern desktop WYSIWYG HTML editor,
> does Wordpress supply one?

No; wordpress doesn't do applications. Well, that's not quite true;
they do applications for mobile devices. What they do for desktop
users who don't like the web interface is that they supply an XML-RPC
API that allows other applications to interact with the site.
Wordpress being the dominant blogging software (in fact, I have heard
that 8% of all websites are WP-based), the API is well supported by
many such tools. Being an emacs weenie, of course I edit my blog
content in emacs and press the magic key combo that publishes it.

> One of the frustrations with trying to understand Wordpress is that
> everything Google finds has to do with online use of a Wordpress web
> site. Does Wordpress have no tools for regular offline desktop
> WYSIWYG HTML editing?

That's out of scope for WP. If you want to edit HTML offline on your
desktop there are plenty of good applications out there. It wouldn't
make sense for WP to maintain a another desktop HTML editor just so it
could interface with WP sites.

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing