Subject: Re: [boost] [proposal] The boost.org Maintenance Effort
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-27 10:48:18

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Dean Michael Berris
<mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> I know nothing about Wordpress, so it is difficult for me to evaluate
>> your proposal. Could you point me to a website that uses Wordpress in
>> a way that is similar to what you are proposing? I'd like to see the
>> administrative interface as well as the public facade.
>>

> Although technically hosted on wordpress.com (where you can also sign
> up for a blog so you can mess around with it at your own pace), you
> can go check gigaom.com and techcrunch.com -- they have a network of
> blogs that have their own communities. Also, thisweekin.com is a
> wordpress installation, and have different sub-sites for different
> shows, each with their own communities.

Those are interesting from the standpoint of library developers who
wants to set up blogs and develop their own communities. That's
important for some libraries, but...

What about the developer (me, for example, and the filesystem library)
who doesn't want a blog, doesn't want to develop a separate community,
and prefers to continue to use the main boost mailing list for
discussions.

Would I have to do anything different? In particular, would any aspect
the HTML files in boost-root/libs/filesystem/doc change?

Can I continue to use plain-old-HTML and my old WYSIWYG HTML editor?

If I wanted to make my doc pages more consistent with the rest of
Boost, would there be style sheets available that my old WYSIWYG HTML
editor could use?

If I wanted to upgrade to a more modern desktop WYSIWYG HTML editor,
does Wordpress supply one? One of the frustrations with trying to
understand Wordpress is that everything Google finds has to do with
online use of a Wordpress web site. Does Wordpress have no tools for
regular offline desktop WYSIWYG HTML editing?

> It's also really easy to set-up on a Linux machine and start messing
> around with it.

I'm primarily a Windows user.

--Beman