Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Version 3 of Boost.Filesystem added to trunk
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-02 13:37:26

On 2 June 2010 11:07, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Because version 3 will break some user code, both v2 and v3 will be
> shipped for several releases. For 1.44, the default is v2 and the
> user has to explicitly switch to v3.

I notice that you have to rebuild boost.filesystem when switching
versions. Does that mean that you can't use both from one install of
boost?

I would have assumed that there's be filesystem_v2 and filesystem_v3
include directories, namespaces, and libraries. The filesystem
directory would look at a #define to pick which headers to include and
which namespace to mention in a using directive. The switching code
would simply change the default of the #define and symlink the
appropriate library.

My thinking here is that I'd like to be able to install boost on my
system, have old code pick up the v2 default, but still be able to use
v3 explicitly in new code, should I so choose.

~ Scott McMurray