Subject: Re: [boost] [boost::endian] Summary of discussion #1
From: Terry Golubiewski (tjgolubi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-03 12:17:00

Vicente wrote:
> The typed interface exists already on the Beman's library. Thus I don't
> see any need to reimplement it. Do you?

Beman's approach is integer centric and combines the use of
non-natively-sized integers and endianness.
I would like to see Beman's library split into two parts: the integer part
and the endian-part.
I have shown that implementing the object-based approach that Beman's uses
does not benefit from a swap-based implemention (at least on my machine).

> I work for a telecomunication company, and I have used a lot of standard
> protocols that reserved 3 bytes for an int. Theese protocols were defined
> a long time ago, but we need to work yet with them. I have not an example
> at hands, but you can belive me that these cases exists. Of course for
> propietaty protocols this could be avoided, and now we have less problem
> with the size of the messages.

Absolutely! For over-the-air (wireless) protocols, conservation of bits in
messages is extremely important due to limited bandwidth.

terry