Subject: Re: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for C++
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-07 13:07:55

Bartlett, Roscoe A wrote:

> Tools like valgrind and purify are very helpful but are not nearly sufficient as described in Section 3.2 (and other sections) in:
>
> http://www.cs.sandia.gov/~rabartl/TeuchosMemoryManagementSAND.pdf

The limitations you give are simply that you expect valgrind to do more
than tell you about memory errors, but also to tell you about contract
violation of any library as well.
That's not something a generic tool can do. Contracts are specified by
each library, and can be optionally checked in a special debug mode the
library may provide.

All that valgrind can do (as far as I my usage goes) is tell you if you
access some unallocated memory (relatively to the default global
allocator) or if you read an uninitialized object.