Subject: Re: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for C++
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-07 13:14:33

Bartlett, Roscoe A wrote:
> Come one, at least some people on this mail list must have had similar nightmare experiences in trying to track down and diagnose hard memory misuse errors in C++ that took days of effort to resolve (even with the help of tools like valgrind and purify).

Hi,

yes, I had such experiences, but that's years in the past, when I did
not know shared pointers. With shared pointers only very few memory
issues ever occurred.

These days, our memory issues are of a different kind: Memory
fragmenation due to malloc's strategies in multithreading scenarios.
These are even worse, because formally, there is no problem in the code.
Writing you own allocator and then suddenly not being able to use
valgrind anymore, that's the memory fun today.

Regards,

Roland