Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] string "quoting"
From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-14 11:56:00

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 09:26 -0400, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 6/14/2010 9:14 AM, Stewart, Robert wrote:
> > Andrey Semashev wrote:

> >> I think, path quoting rules can be OS-specific, so it seems fit to
> >> reside in Boost.Filesystem.
> > While that may be true, they could be built atop a more general offering.
> Don't wait for a perfect mousetrap. A merely good one will do for now.

If the three suggested quoting routines are provided (by whatever
mechanism: clever, dumb; generic, or otherwise) as non-filesystem
specific conversions, then filesystem can use them.

The advantage of them not being in boost::filesystem is that other
people will be able to find and use them too (for non-filesystem
specific things).

I have a feeling that there are a number of useful general-purpose
utility things hidden away inside specific libraries (sometimes as
detail). It would be shame to add to that tally.

Phil

--
Phil Richards, <news_at_[hidden]>