Subject: Re: [boost] auto-link with gcc/windows
From: Jürgen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-06 05:59:06

Hi Robert,

On Tuesday, 6. July 2010 10:12:38 you wrote:
> All this looks like a refinement of the auto-liink stuff which we've had
> for MSVC and Borland for years.

As John has already mentioned, this is a pure symbol visibility issue.

> So it's OK. I would like to see
> this stuff checked into the release branch before I make these changes
> in the serialization library.

Just checked again, all patches are already merged to release. I merged
Boost.Test myself ;-)) I still have to find some time to address the other
libraries...

> With the last change I made in the serialization library, the only missing
> symbols are void_upcast and void_downcast. the *.cpp files which
> defiine these functions to indeed define BOOST_SERIALIZATION_SOURCE
> so these symbols should be exported. I'm trying go figure out why this is
> not happening. Including define BOOST_SERIALIZATION_SOURCE in
> a different file can't be the solution - the fact that it seems to work can
> only
> be a hint as to what the problem is. Still thanks for the insight.

If you got gcc-4.x around, the easiest solution would be to apply the
visibility patch and then compile with "<cxxflags>>-fvisibility=hidden". You
should then get the same linker errors as mingw.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH