Subject: Re: [boost] [Filesystem] Add features to list all mount paths, determine mount path of a path
From: Marius Stoica (letto2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-12 14:32:03

On Monday 12 July 2010 19:17:44 Daniel Trebbien wrote:
> The basic idea is to have the ability to list mounted filesystems. I
> then suggested that `basic_path` could be extended with a new member
> (e.g.: `mount_path`) that will determine the mount path of the given
> path, and add a function to iterate over all mount paths.

That would be a very questionable feature. On unix there is a single
filesystem. Things such as "mount paths" are supposed to be abstracted away.

And what would be the "mount path of the given path" ? Such a path may have
multiple mout points. Wich one do you return ? And why...? What would an use
case for this feature ? Maby so you can display space usage? Maby you should
add a function to do just that instead ?
And why add a function to iterate over all mount points ? I think that only
makes sense for iterating over windows drives.

> 4. Is the concept of mount paths cross-platform?

No. Mount points migth be similar to windows drives, but not similar enougth.

And it's mount point, not mount path.