Subject: Re: [boost] Any interest in creating new CORBA IDL to C++ mapping?
From: Ian Emmons (iemmons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-14 09:05:21

On Jul 12, 2010, at 3:54 AM, Johnny Willemsen wrote:
> We are talking with various users of TAO to see if we can create a new modern IDL to C++ mapping. The idea is to drop all old compilers which lead to the current mapping and make a new IDL to C++ mapping that is using the latest draft C++0x standard.
>
> We want to use full STL, shared_ptr, r-value, and everything else we could need. The idea is to prototype this first in TAO and than see if on the long term we can propose a new IDL to C++ V2 mapping to the OMG.

I am not all that familiar with C++0x, but I think you should consider an updated mapping to C++03+TR1. If that doesn't require too many compromises (compared to a C++0x mapping), then it might be the best way to drive early adoption. On the other hand, I wouldn't want the new mapping to be outdated before it's ratified as a standard, either. A tricky balancing act for you.

> I did find some discussions on this list about 2 years ago, are people interested in this effort, any input is welcome.

+1