Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 16:34:23

> Hi Robert,
>
> What you can do is just bump the version number with every release of
> Boost.Serialization, even if you think that nothing has changed.

That would be prudent and I'm considering it.

Actually, I think the whole issue of library version # is an interesting
one which merits consideration. I see a couple of version #'s

a) api version - like library_version is now
b) implemenation version - bumped every library change
c) ABI version.

The inclusion of these version # in the library would
permit library user code to verify that dynamically loaded
or statically linked libraries are compatible with the
libraries being used. So program x would include
code which checks the api level and can abort
if the linked in library isn't recent enough. Finding
"dll hell" bugs like this can be a nightmare.

Robert Ramey