Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-21 02:25:37

Matthias Troyer wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2010, at 15:19, Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:

>>> Most of my recent changes have already been pushed to the release
>>> branch. I had just assumed that you're changes were already there.
>>> I had been checking the trunk results of the MPI library and they
>>> looked OK as far as I could tell.
>>
>> Actually, Robert, your serialization changes broke the Sandia-sun
>> tester (their MPI tests used to work correctly). I'd really
>> appreciate it if you'd fix these on trunk.
>

> I took a quick look at those failures. Many seem to be runtime
> failures without any output - that is hard to debug remotely. The sun
> test failures though all can be traced to a change in strong typedefs
> on the trunk. The "strong typedef'ed" classes no longer have a
> default constructor and version_type now has a private default
> constructor. Adding those constructors again should solve the SUN
> regressions.

The reason I made this change was that the implicit conversions
was making it very hard to track what was going on and have
any confidence of what was happening from looking at the code.
Remember that the primitive types are not all the same across
all machines - so looking at the code is not enough to know what
it's actually doing in this case. So I don't think this is a good fix.

I'm puzzled as to why only? the Sun compiler manifests this issue.

The last checkin addressed the fact that class_id_type (and
class_id_optional_type) had the
same issue as version_type. So I'm thinking that whatever was
done for version_type should be done for these types as well.

Robert Ramey