Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-21 18:32:59

Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 7/21/2010 5:00 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> as far as I could see, the changes should be small
>> and perhaps trivial since MPI doesn't have support
>> previous versions.
>
> That sentence doesn't parse. I think you're missing a "to" in there.
> MPI doesn't have "to" support previous versions, presumably because
> the serialized forms are only traveling across a wire and are never
> persisted to disk. Is that right? Matthias, is that assumption
> correct.

correct:MPI doesn't support previous versions because it doesn't have to.

>>> Based upon your messages, it's not clear to me what this "fix" does.
>
> It makes binary archives distinguishable from their incompatible
> pre-1.42 variants. It provides a standalone utility to help users fix
> their broken binary archives from 1.42 and 1.43. It requires users
> that inherit from a binary archive to manually fix their code.

> (does/does not?) help users identify these places in their code.

There's no problem in user's code.

The problem is that version 1.42 and 1.43 have the same
archive version # in the header as 1.41 even though they
have different file formats.

>>> Does it make it so that serialization in 1.44 will be able to read
>>> binary archives from 1.41
>
> Yes(?)

This has never been an issue.

The problem reading binary archives created with versions 1.42 and
1.43.

>>> or does it make it so that serialization in
>>> 1.44 will be able to read binary archives from 1.42/43?
>
> No.

YES !!!

>>> Or somehow
>>> both? Is there a trac issue?