Subject: Re: [boost] Phoenix3 port to proto complete
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-23 21:08:51

On 7/23/10 11:32 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:

> Essentially, it means Phoenix3 is a white box, an open platform. Third
> parties can use just the Phoenix3 front end and intermediate form,
> substituting their own back ends to make the expressions mean and do
> completely different and domain-specific things.
>
> Expect to see Phoenix3 expressions showing up in other DSEL contexts.
> It's hard to predict how people will use this. The possibilities are
> really limitless.

I couldn't have said so better myself. Let me emphasize that Eric and I
(with the helf of Joel Falcou and Thomas Heller of course) have taken
extreme attention to detail with Phoenix3's extension mechanism. To me,
this is the most crucial point. To some extent, Phoenix2 is already a
"white-box" due to its extension mechanism. People have already been
using and extending Phoenix2 in ways I haven't imagined before. The
underlying infrastructure of Phoenix2 is Fusion. This time, the underlying
infrastructure is Proto. Expect a lot more power from this concoction!

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com