Subject: Re: [boost] [context] new version
From: Oliver Kowalke (k-oli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-30 00:44:35

Am 29.07.2010 23:40, schrieb Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr.:
> On 7/29/2010 6:30 AM, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> so I think some real examples would go a long way

in libs/context/example you find a simple example

> Several questions: Is the
> typical usage to grab the current context, then jump to some other
> (previously constructed) context?

yes

> What would be the recommended method
> for the second context to transfer control back to the original one?

simply jump to it : this_context.jump_to( original_context);

> Is this functionality basically what the coroutine and fiber library are
> suppose to take care of?

It is the base of coroutine, fiber etc. The libraries build on top of
boost.context usualy provide more functionality like scheduling, result
and error transfer ...

> Does this library have any use by itself, or
> would one primarily use this to build a fiber/coroutine library on top?

You can build your own cooperative scheduling libraries (coroutine and
fiber are only examples) with boost.context.

> Is context switching significantly different on the various Windows
> flavors, or have you just not gotten around to testing on Vista and 7
> (it seems only XP is documented as working)?

It's not different - I've not Vista or Windows7.

Oliver