Subject: Re: [boost] Please, remove me from Trac and maintainers.txt
From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro.prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-30 14:58:25

On 30/07/2010 20.09, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 7/30/2010 1:00 PM, Gennaro Prota wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I received a notification for the following Trac ticket.
>>
>> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4495>
>>
>> Apparently this request
>>
>> <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2010/06/168338.php>
>>
>> got just ignored, so I'll try to be clearer: I don't want to
>> have anything to do with Boost; can anyone put an end to this
>> annoyance?
>
> That request wasn't ignored. I asked you with whom we should replace
> replace you as maintainer. You never responded.
>
> <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2010/06/168343.php>
>
> Without a maintainer, we'll have to change dynamic_bitset's status to
> unmaintained. Personally, I'd hate to see that happen.

It's not like I'm a maintainer just because you leave my name in
maintainers.txt. It mismatches reality.

> Volunteers from the Boost community are welcomed.

I see that there's an offer. To the voluntary, let me say that
this is a very lightweight task (dynamic_bitset isn't anything
like the usual Boost libraries mess, although it is still a mess
by my today's standards.)

Maintenance is basically for

- new compilers (ouch... didn't it compile with the previous
   version? Aren't they using Boost for regression testing? Hmm,
   how many fibs...)

- things like missing documentation, semantics of some functions
   (in case anyone notices), etc. of which I'm well aware (it's
   just that *when* I asked for feedback such as: "would you like
   the contract to be this or that?" nobody was interested. And
   I'm no longer, too.)

In other words, I'm not handing on the hot potato (when I began,
alas, it was terrible: there were functions that didn't even
compile! The famous Boost review process...

This mail gives a short account of the initial changes (I should
say the "rewrite"):

   <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2004/04/63957.php>
)

As to not replying to you, Eric, I was not following the list.

Back when I left Boost, I asked for someone to take over as a
maintainer. There was one offer but the person just added a
#ifdef to silence a VC++ warning and disappeared.

--
Gennaro