Subject: [boost] [Boost.Locale] Upcoming Boost.Locale version
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-18 07:44:16

Hello,

I'd like to tell about some Boost.Locale updates. I did some deep reworking on
Boost.Locale internals that made this library more modular and powerful:

Localization backends interface:
--------------------------------

I had build localization backends interface that allows using non-ICU
based localization sources.

It it becomes possible to use absolutely same API with different backends.

Standard library based localization:
------------------------------------
I created simple localization backend based on standard C++ library
localization support that enhances it in many ways and actually
allows to use this library without ICU at all makeing it
much smaller for cases where no advanced features are required.

Of course you do not get advanced ICU features like boundary analysis,
non-gregorian calendar support. But still have full support of message
formatting and depending on your compiler's standard library you get
localized numbers, currency, date-time formatting and parsing,
basic collation etc.

What is also important you get it in uniform way so you can create "he_IL.UTF-8"
locale even using MSVC standard library that does not support UTF-8 and does
not support POSIX locale names, this backend knows to translate POSIX locale
names
to Windows ones and use wide character facets for providing UTF-8 locales
that are not given.

Good standard library localization support is provided by
GCC and Intel compilers under Linux and MSVC under Windows.

Meanwhile this version exists in svn under:

<https://cppcms.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cppcms/boost_locale/branches/rework>

Other enhancements:

- Cleanup and simpilification of the locales generation interface
- Support of ICU-less builds

Hopefully it will be ready for review soon and would repace current
version scheduled for review.

BTW: Is there anybody who wants to mange the review process.

Artyom