Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Locale] Upcoming Boost.Locale version
From: Jarrad Waterloo (jwaterloo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-23 09:02:36

On 8/18/2010 7:44 AM, Artyom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to tell about some Boost.Locale updates. I did some deep reworking on
> Boost.Locale internals that made this library more modular and powerful:
>

> Localization backends interface:
> --------------------------------

> Standard library based localization:
> ------------------------------------
>
> Other enhancements:
> -------------------

I have a general question concerning usage. I am unfamiliar with ICU.
Sometimes when I do I18N, I like to think in terms of [serialized]
objects and not strings. Besides having to internationalize images
sometimes I need to do the same to arrays of strings or any type of
object. In the use case of array of strings, I may in English have a
selection or radii ["25 miles", "50 miles", "75 miles" "100 miles", "150
miles", "200 miles"]. However in a different language I may have
["50km", "100km", "150km", "250km"]. Because the unit is different I may
more or fewer items in the array. The items in the array may not even be
strings but a unit object that has both runtime scaler and runtime unit.
So using ICU how would I store and retrieve an array of objects using
boost serialization into one field. Does ICU support any kind of
contenttype, metadata or filename extension that could identify such
items to tools? Will your Locale library have any add on or enhancement
to simplify this use-case; perhaps translate<object type> versus translate?