Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost.Process done
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-31 18:41:04

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:48:43 +0200, Ilya Sokolov <ilyasokol_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 25.08.2010 23:36, Boris Schaeling wrote:
>> In general Boost.Process depends on these header files from other Boost
>> C++ libraries:
>>
>> boost/algorithm/string/predicate.hpp
>
> I don't think its use is justified.

Quickly checked what is used where: find_executable_in_path() uses
boost::algorithm::ends_with() and boost::algorithm::iends_with().

>> boost/filesystem/path.hpp
>> boost/lexical_cast.hpp
>
> ditto

find_executable_in_path() throws boost::filesystem::filesystem_error() if
a program isn't found in PATH.
boost::lexical_cast is used by named_pipe to convert the UUID (from
Boost.Uuid) to a std::string.

>> boost/preprocessor/stringize.hpp
>
> BOOST_STRINGIZE (from Boost.Config) could be used instead of
> BOOST_PP_STRINGIZE

Changed.

Regarding the header files above: I wonder whether it makes sense to get
rid of actual helpful functions like boost::algorithm::ends_with() only to
remove a dependency on another Boost library. I understand the case about
Boost.Filesystem which requires to be built. But it's a kind of strange
goal for Boost libraries to reuse as little code as possible from other
Boost libraries?

Boris