Subject: Re: [boost] [Locale] MS-LCID's table from MSDN site and Copyrights
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-02 07:08:26

Artyom wrote:

> I need a table for conversion of Windows LCIDs to ISO-639
> Language and ISO-3199 Country codes and back. I need this for
> creation Win32 API based backend for Boost.Locale and ability
> to convert locale names like en_US to LCID 0x0409.
>
> Such table can be found here (link to PDF of this page):
>
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc233965.aspx>
>
> It contains all I need. Now I want to insert such table to the
> cpp file and include it to the Boost.Locale library.
>
> I've read the Copyright notice on this page but I don't
> clearly understand:
>
> - Can I do this? It seems that this notice allow to copy the
> data but not sure.
> - Can I release a file that includes such table under Boost
> License?

IANAL, but the copyright notice seems quite clear:

   This documentation is covered by Microsoft copyrights.
   Regardless of any other terms that are contained in the terms
   of use for the Microsoft website that hosts this
   documentation, you may make copies of it in order to develop
   implementations of the technologies described in the Open
   Specifications and may distribute portions of it in your
   implementations using these technologies or your documentation
   as necessary to properly document the implementation. You may
   also distribute in your implementation, with or without
   modification, any schema, IDL's, or code samples that are
   included in the documentation. This permission also applies
   to any documents that are referenced in the Open
   Specifications.

1. The copyright claim is for the documentation itself.

2. It specifically permits making copies to develop implementations of the technologies.

3. It specifically allows distribution of implementations using the technologies or your copies of the documentation.

4. It permits distributing, in your implementation, the schema, IDLs, and code samples in the documentation.

I cannot find anything ambiguous relative to your use: it is permitted. Don't take my assertion as legal advice, of course, but I cannot think there's any other way to take that copyright notice: Microsoft wants you to make use of the data.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]