Subject: Re: [boost] Scalpel: a Spirit&Wave-powered C++ source code analysis library
From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-07 10:14:24

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Doug Gregor:
>>I want to see great, new ideas in C++ parsing and development tools,
>>but I strongly feel that those ideas could be far better disseminated
>>through extending/adapting/changing existing the large-scale,
>>industry-backed projects (GCC or Clang/LLVM) than by bringing up a
>>third large-scale competitor.
>
> Years ago I looked at GCC and considered using it as
> a basis for what I'm working on, but after spending a
> few months working with the code, concluded it wouldn't
> make a good basis for my project.  Perhaps you are being
> generous about it here, but I can't recommend anyone join
> that project.  I certainly hope Clang is superior to GCC in
> many ways.

I don't know what issues you ran into with GCC, but Boosters should be
far more at home with Clang: it's a set of reusable, modern C++
libraries that aim to make it easy to build development tools for
C/C++/Objective-C, under a BSD-like (Boost-compatible) license. For
more information, I suggest visiting

  http://clang.llvm.org/

or asking on the Clang mailing list.

  - Doug