Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-07 14:41:51

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:19:23 -0400, Gwenio wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>>
>> I hope that, for starters, the end-result would look nothing like that
>> produced by gtkmm. GTK-based GUIs on Windows just look 'wrong'. I'd hope
>> that any solution we envisage would use the platform native widgets to
>> render itself just as SWT does for Java.
>>
> Getting a native look would be difficult;

Why? It's been done well in the past. Just not for C++ (if you exclude
the C++ 'port' of SWT)

> ideally you would have a set of
> functions that provide the functionallity to draw in the native style.

Yuk. This approach doesn't work well. Every time the native style changes
you have to update your fakes widgets. Maintainence nightmare! Not to
mention that it's almost impossible to simulate native widgets faithfully.

> The
> other way would to have a wrapper for native controls and some method to
> adjust how they function.

This is how SWT, Adam/Eve, etc. work though I'm not sure what you mean by
adjust how they function.

> The latter option would result in there being
> separate braches of the library for native and custom controls.

If there are native controls why bother with custom controls. (I also don't
see what 'branches' have to do with anything - do you mean 'option')?

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows (http://www.swish-sftp.org)