Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-07 15:41:33

On 09/07/2010 01:29 PM, Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
> Design top down, implement bottom up. Right now instead of talking about design of low level components you should instead be talking about design goals and requirements. We should discuss the difficult subjects.

I think what Lucanus is saying is really central, in particular in this
particular topic and discussion.

Just look at the arguments made above: I think it is clear that
different participants in this discussion pursue quite different goals.
Unfortunately, these aren't compatible with each other, so it's hard to
reach an agreement.

One party argues for a standard C++ API that allows to integrate with
existing GUIs (libraries, frameworks, toolkits), uses native toolkits
(or at least, styles), etc.

The other wants to see such a boost project to endorse new design ideas
(even new GUI approaches) that are highly experimental.

Neither party is wrong, of course, but unless you figure out which set
of requirements a "boost.gui" project should support, you are very
unlikely to get anywhere.

FWIW,
         Stefan